Link:INB Home|INB English| INB русский язык|INB العربية|INB Türkiye|INB فارسی|INB Español|INB Français|INB Português|INB Deutsch|INB 國語|INB 中文|INB 日本语|INB 한국어|INB ภาษาไทย|INB tiếng Việt||An Easy Penny Science Experiment & Interesting Facts!
INB English forum
Welcome to (Industry & Native boffin) The industrial age here is full of fighting spirit, you and I both through this network space with Native biological spirit boffin came to the mad labs. home INBforum.com, come and join us Permanent name: inb-english.forumotion.com
INB English forum
Welcome to (Industry & Native boffin) The industrial age here is full of fighting spirit, you and I both through this network space with Native biological spirit boffin came to the mad labs. home INBforum.com, come and join us Permanent name: inb-english.forumotion.com
INB English forum

Welcome to (Industry & Native boffin) The industrial age here is full of fighting spirit, you and I both through this network space with Native biological spirit boffin came to the mad labs. home INBforum.com, Permanent name: inb-english.forumotion.com

You are not connected. Please login or register

《《《《《《《上一页INBforum   Go down

上一页INBforum》》》》》》》View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1An Easy Penny Science Experiment & Interesting Facts! Empty An Easy Penny Science Experiment & Interesting Facts! Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:29 am

Admin

Admin
Admin
While browsing St. Patrick’s Day ideas on the internet, the other night, I got sidetracked by a penny science experiment that I noticed.  It was actually really interesting, sounded easy and I had everything on hand.  That never happens.  I knew it would be a perfect homeschool project to break up our daily routine.  Oh, and…maybe this is a stretch, but…pennies/lucky/St. Patrick’s Day…it works, right??  So, not only is it educational, but it’s festive…okay, it’s not.

So, first off…here’s a few little tid-bits that I shared with me lads…

- The first Lincoln Cents (otherwise known as the “penny”) was made in 1909 to celebrate Lincoln’s 100th birthday.  It originally had 2 wheat stalks on the back.

- In 1959, the back of the penny was changed to the Lincoln Memorial, to celebrate Lincoln’s 150th birthday.

- In 2009, to celebrate Lincoln’s 200th birthday, there were 4 new penny backs that came out, depicting different scenes from Lincoln’s life.

- Before 1982, pennies were 95% copper and 5% zinc.  Now, they are 97.5% zinc and only 2.5% copper.

And, now for the project…

You know how pennies always look so grimy and nasty??  Well, they are.  Don’t suck on them.  But, even if you use soap, water, and a scrub brush, you can’t bring them back to a shiny color.  Why??  Well, because that poopie brown color is actually copper oxide, which is a reaction that happens from the copper in the penny being in contact with the oxygen in the air.  Copper Oxide = Poopie Brown.

An Easy Penny Science Experiment & Interesting Facts! 3-7-2011-009

The only way to restore the shininess to the pennies is to put them in contact with an acid…and vinegar mixed with a little salt really does the trick!  So, first I dumped our penny jar out on the counter.  Do you have a penny jar?  I always thought it wasn’t earning it’s keep in my home, until the other day.  I then had the boys pick out some of the dingiest ones.  This took a while because they were armed with their new penny facts, and had to check out the backs on nearly all of them and also find ones made before 1982 (because those are the ones that are mostly copper)…just because they wanted to.

An Easy Penny Science Experiment & Interesting Facts! 3-7-2011+005

Then I had them take their pennies to the sink to scrub them, as good as they could, with soap and water.  I told them to get them sparkly clean…of course, it’s not possible.

When they realized they weren’t getting anywhere with it, I taught them about the copper and oxygen reaction and that they needed an acid to dissolve it.

So, we mixed about 1/4 cup white vinegar and a tsp. of salt in a bowl…

An Easy Penny Science Experiment & Interesting Facts! 3-7-2011+011

When you put the pennies in the vinegar, it’s so cool, you just watch them slowly change, right before your eyes!  Some of the pennies do best with a little finger rubbing, but you can literally see them changing by just having them sit there.

An Easy Penny Science Experiment & Interesting Facts! 3-7-2011+012

Here’s a little before/after…

An Easy Penny Science Experiment & Interesting Facts! 3-7-2011+019

My boys loved this little experiment, they wanted to get the whole jar clean…which is fine with me, cause I’ve had an idea brewing for St. Patrick’s Day that entails pennies…I would much rather have them shiny.

But, to keep the penny-love going, I told them how there are some very special pennies that they should watch out for (they could be worth lots of money)…

The 1943 copper penny.  In 1943, pennies were made out of steel so that the copper could be used to make weapons for WWII.  But, due to a probable mistake, there were still several made out of copper (40 known to exist, so far.)  If you can find a 1943 penny that isn’t steel (silver) but is normal penny color…you’re in luck…as in, tens of thousands of dollars luck!  You just need to verify that it’s not counterfeit, test it with a magnet.  If the magnet sticks, it’s not copper…it’s steel that’s been coated.

It’s funny…I totally forgot that I had a penny collection from when I was in junior high, down in my storage room.  You can see that I have 3 of the 1943 steel pennies…no copper, darn.

An Easy Penny Science Experiment & Interesting Facts! 3-7-2011+004
An Easy Penny Science Experiment & Interesting Facts! 3-7-2011+002

Anyway, also valuable is the 1955 penny, called the “double die”…the press was misaligned and some of the pennies came out with the words and date doubled…not all 1955 pennies are double died, but if you find one it can also be worth hundreds to thousands of dollars…of course, I didn’t have that one either.

An Easy Penny Science Experiment & Interesting Facts! 1955dd_penny2
Image Source

So, there you have it…the penny experiment. As always, if you like a post…please comment, “like” it, share it, stumble it, tell your friends, whateva!  It’s those little validations that keep bloggers blogging An Easy Penny Science Experiment & Interesting Facts! Icon_smile]

http://eng.inbforum.com

上一页INBforum   Go down

上一页INBforumView previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum

Copyright ©2009-2016 LTD Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

IT:SINGLESERVGoogle谷歌翻译TranslateFORUMSOFTLAYERGoogle谷歌广告联盟AdSenseAsia

Create a forum on Forumotion | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com